From Thom Rainer’s consultation and notes. It is Rainer’s assessment that if a church displays four or more of these warning signs, then remedial efforts must take place. If six or more signs are present, the congregation is in immediate trouble. You should be concerned if:
1) You, the pastor, do not have adequate time to be in the Word or you choose not to do so.
2) The members are spending time arguing about how money should be spent.
3) None (or only a few) of the key leaders are actively sharing their faith.
4) There is no clear process of discipleship in place, just a plethora of programs and activities.
5) Corporate prayer is not a major emphasis in the church.
6) Church members are arguing about worship styles and times.
7) Church members expect the paid staff to do most of the ministry instead of the staff equipping the members to do the work of ministry.
8) There are ongoing disagreements about matters of the church facilities.
9) The church has more meetings than new disciples.
10) The leadership of the church does not have a coherent plan for what is taught in small groups and Sunday School classes.
(gleaned from Steve Hale’s newsletter, stevehaleministries.com)
2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.