All of us need to keep up with the past. One site you should visit is the Christian history site. This resource site provides excellent historical perspective on the first 2,000 years of Christian history. www.christianhistory.net 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival,
The following outlines are taken from Pastor Michael Catt’s sermon series on James. Training Ushers and Greeters James 2:1-13 Lehman Strauss – “Jesus Christ is never a respecter of persons. Our Lord’s glory is from everlasting to everlasting,. but never once during His earthly ministry did He favor one man over another on the basis
"Of all things in the world that stink in the nostrils of men, hypocrisy is the worst." - Spurgeon
"The more a church flourishes, the more, I believe, do hypocrites get in, just as you see many a noxious creeping thing come and get in a garden after a shower of rain. The very things that make glad the flowers bring out these noxious things. And so hypocrites get in and steal much of the church's sap away." - Spurgeon
Webster defines hypocrisy as, "the feigning of beliefs, feelings or virtues that one does not hold or possess."
"Great Hypocrites are the real atheists." - Francis Bacon
"It is no fault of Christianity that a hypocrite falls into sin." - Saint Jerome
"Hypocrisy means deliberately pretending. None of us lives up to his ideals; none of us is all that he would like to be or all that he could be in Christ. But that is not hypocrisy. Falling short of our ideals is not hypocrisy. Pretending we have reached our ideals when we have not - that is hypocrisy." - Warren Wiersbe
"Half of the misery in the world comes from trying to look, instead of trying to be, what one is not." - George MacDonald
"A hypocrite is one who plays two parts consciously for his own ends. When we find fault with other people we may be quite sincere, and yet Jesus says in reality we are frauds." - Oswald Chambers
"The real test of your Christianity is not how pious you look at the Lord's table on Sunday, but how you act at the breakfast table at home. If it takes two cups of coffee to make you fit to live with, you had better go to the mourner's bench." - Vance Havner
"I would just as soon listen to a gangster lecture on honesty as watch Hollywood portray the Bible." - Vance Havner
"Beware of being a religious poseur, trying to live up to a dramatized version of yourself." - Vance Havner
"Hypocrites and betrayers of Christ are no better than devils." - Matthew William
"Hypocrisy is too thin a veil to blind the eyes of the Almighty." - Gurnall Henry
"There are many who are lip servants but not life servants." - William Jenkyn
"If the world despises a hypocrite, what must they think of him in heaven?" - Josh Billings
"A hypocrite preaches by the yard but practices by the inch."
"The real phony is the guy who listens to the radio while eating a TV dinner." - Farm Journal
"I would rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it." - Will Rogers
"Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in him." - Billy Graham
Once when Winston Churchill was visiting the United States, Mrs. Roosevelt attacked him for his colonialist views on India. She said, "The Indians have suffered for years under British oppression." Churchill replied, "Well, Mrs. R., are we talking about the brown-skinned Indians in India who have multiplied under benevolent British rule, or are we speaking about the red-skinned Indians in America who, I understand, are now almost extinct." - From The Wit & Wisdom of Winston Churchill by James C. Humes.
"How difficult it is to avoid having a special standard for oneself." - C. S. Lewis, Letters to an American Lady, pg. 58
"What we want is to be real. Let us not appear to be more than we are. Don't let us put on any cant, any assumed humility, but let us be real; that is the delight of God. God wants us to be real men and women, and if we profess to be what we are not, God knows all about us. God hates sham." - D. L. Moody
"One who, professing virtues that he does not respect, secures the advantage of seeming to be what he despises." - Ambrose Bierce
"A hypocrite is in himself both the archer and the mark, in all actions shooting at his own praise or profit." - Thomas Fuller
"The most exhausting thing in life." - Ann Morrow Lindbergh
"More depends on my walk than my talk." - D. L. Moody
"Hypocrisy, the only evil that walks invisible, except to God alone." - Adapted from John Milton
"A person who is not himself on Sunday." - Anon.
"We may sing our hymns and psalms, and offer prayers, but they will be an abomination to God, unless we are willing to be thoroughly straightforward in our daily life." - D. L. Moody
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means, at the point of highest reality. A chastity or honesty or mercy which yields to danger will be chaste or honest or merciful only on conditions. Pilate was merciful till it became risky." — C. S. Lewis
– Edited by Garth M. Rosell and Richard A. G. Dupuis. Zondervan. This book contains the complete text of the original manuscripts. Billy Graham said, “Few men influenced a whole generation for Christ as deeply as Charles G. Finney.” This is a vivid portrait of one of the remarkable evangelists of the 19th century. 2ProphetU2ProphetU
– Dr. Gardner C. Taylor This is the only journal devoted exclusively to the art of black preaching. Dr. Gardner C. Taylor says this journal is “the definitive journal on preaching in black America.” 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage
How To Respond When You’re Hurt by Someone You Trust – Ron Dunn Ron Dunn’s last book is must reading for people who have been hurt. Surviving Friendly Fire: How To Respond When You’re Hurt by Someone You Trust will become a classic on dealing Biblically with hurts and wounds in the ministry. Part One
Understanding and Developing Racial Reconciliation in Your Church – Norman Anthony Peart. Baker Books. The author argues that, although racial reconciliation has been viewed as a peripheral matter by the church, it should be at the heart of the church’s message and mission. If you are in a transitional community or dealing with racial issues
– Willhite. Kregel Publications. A practical resource with ten strategies for communication relevance in expository messages. Recommended by Howard Hendricks, Professor at Dallas Seminary and Michael Duduit, Editor of Preaching Magazine. 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.
– David McCasland. Discovery House Publishers. The life story of the author of My Utmost for His Highest. 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.
– Dr. & Mrs. H. Taylor. Moody Press. Hudson Taylor was the founder of the China Inland Mission, a physician full of the Spirit and faith. This title reveals the source of His strength and power. 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival,
– Marjory F. Foyle. Monarch Books. The author explores issues like depression, occupational stress, interpersonal relationships, burnout, and other issues. Church Times says the book, ‘Explains the causes and treatment of battle-fatigue. Frank, sensible and always compassionate.’ 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek
– John Foxe. Thomas Nelson Publishers. Truly a classic in Christian literature. This book gives us a picture of a true martyr for Christ. These individuals wanted to correct and reform the religious abuses that had taken over the Church. Instead, they were condemned by the Church and often lost their lives. These brave believers