Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day. Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth. For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together, Psalm 71:8-10 “I do hope my
Written by: Robert Murray M’cheyne I will never leave thee nor forsake thee-Hebrews 13:5. Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee? Psalms 85:6 It is interesting to notice the time when this prayer was offered. It was a time of mercy. “Lord thou hast been favorable unto thy land”.
In this section from “Meet yourself in the Psalms”, Dr. Wiersbe deals with the problem of emotional depression, which is rapidly becoming a major health problem, by examining Psalms 42 and 43. He suggests that to overcome depression, you must make some radical changes in your outlook on life. In “Uplook for the Downcast” the
There is something about the ‘system’ which I am part of that bothers me. It’s the whole idea of pulpit committee’s. While I’ve had the privilege of working with several wonderful groups of people, this is not always the case. There are problems with this system. First of all, you have sheep calling the Shepherd.
– edited by Charles Turner. Servant Publications. In this volume, ten well-known writers candidly discuss their heroes and explain why they admire them. J.I. Packer writes on David Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Thomas Howard on his father Philip Howard, Jr., R.C. Sproul on Thomas Aquinas, and so on. It’s a rich feast of good things for those
– Archibald D. Hart. Word Publications. This is Volume five of the Resources for Christian Counseling series. Gary Collins is the general editor of this helpful series. The author explains what depression is and gives helpful guidelines for counseling children, teens, the elderly, the bereaved, the suicidal person and so on. 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online
– Don Anderson. Loizeaux. A practical study of the neglected book, Ecclesiastes. This is not a detailed commentary but an exposition of the book as it applies to the so-called “mid-life crisis.” 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.
– F. F. Bruce. InterVarsity Press. It is wise for the preacher to read at least one new book a year on the person of Jesus Christ. The book proves that the “Christ of history” is also the “Christ of faith and experience.” Dr. Bruce adequately answers those who claim Jesus was a revolutionary, a
– Lehman Strauss. Loizeaux. This is one of the best books on our Lord’s “seven last words from the cross”. A noted Bible teacher and author, Strauss packs a lot of truth – and Scripture – into these 112 pages! 2ProphetU2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up
– Harry Verploegh Oswald Chambers has long been appreciated for his ability to express spiritual truth in memorable statements, and this volume gives you the very best. The items are much more than sentence quotations and are listed under about 400 topics. There is a great deal of substance to this book, and the pastor
– Charles Turner. Servant Publications. Turner does not waste words as he tells the moving story of one man’s ministry in Memphis during the yellow fever epidemic of the 1870s. This is one of the few novels I have read in which I have underlined sentences! Don’t be misled by the brevity of this book.
– Leonard Allen. Howard Publishing. This is a solid collection of writings on prayer from the classical to the contemporary. You’ll find enriching insights from C. S. Lewis, Max Lucado, Andrew Murray, John Calvin, Jim Cymbala, Charles Wesley, Tony Evans and others. The book deals with the Purpose of Prayer, the Psalms as Prayer, Patterns