(From the Family Focus Series)
by Michael Catt
I. Six Declining Trends in the Family:
“The American Family does not exist. Rather, we are creating many American families of diverse style and shapes. In unprecedented numbers, our families are unalike…” -Newsweek
– Gay and lesbian “families”
– Single-parent families
– Blended families
Suggestions for blended families:
1) Parents, present a unified front in discipline.
2) Do all within your power to enhance your child’s relationship with your former spouse.
3) Respect routines.
4) Teach your children the things of God.
Suggestions for children in blended families:
1) Don’t blame yourself for your parents’ divorce.
2) Realize divorce is wrong but not unredeemable.
3) Refuse to be an informer for either parent.
4) Accept and pray for your parents’ choices of other mates if there is remarriage.
B. Postponed Marriages
C. The Shrinking Family
D. Dual-Income Families
E. Day Care Centers
“Being human, sinful and weak, we are all equipped with a remarkable ability to rationalize. Unless we consciously guard against it, when we experience marital difficulties, we’ll begin searching for a way out instead of a way through. Given sufficient time in the crucible, divorce will seem our only option, our long awaited and much deserved utopia. And we will begin to push in that direction, at times ignoring the inner voice of God’s Spirit and at other times, violating the written principles of God’s Word.” -Chuck Swindoll
II. Commands that Are Not Options for Families Who Want to Stand Against the Culture and Serve the Lord
What is the role of spiritual leaders in their homes?
1) Hear the truth consistently.
2) Love the Lord passionately.
3) Teach your children diligently.
4) Fear God, lest you forget.
III. The Church Is Here to Help, Not to Do It for You “Kingdom Education is a life-long, Bible-based, Christ-centered process of leading a child to Christ, building up a child in Christ, and equipping a child to serve Christ.” -Glen Schultz
“We have failed to stand for truth, failed to articulate, defend and advance an intelligent and coherent Christian worldview.” -Chuck Coalson
2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.