Church Executive Magazine ran an article in March 2007 about Beloit College’s “Mindset List.” Each year the Wisconsin school identifies the worldview of 18-year-olds entering college. Among this year’s findings…
Among the 75 citations of what last fall’s college freshmen will never have known:
– The Sovient Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
– They have known only two presidents.
– There has always been one Germany.
– They are wireless, yet always connected.
– “Google” has always been a verb.
– Megachurches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.
|Issue||Church in 20th Century||Church in 21st Century|
|5. Automobiles driven to church||Four family members in one car||Four family members in three cars|
|15.Coffee||Maxwell House in 40-cup urn, small styrofoam cups and powdered creamer (YUK!)||Starbucks Cafe’ Latte, Frappacino, Grande Mocha, etc. (YUM!)|
|16.Comfort level||Same ol’ same ol’, predictable, comfortable, hymns||Edgy, unpredictable, uncomfortable, drama|
|23.Costs||Keep it cheap because the church pays||User fees for curriculum, camps, coffee|
|46.How work gets done||Committees elected by congregation||Self-appointed teams based on giftedness|
|67.Numbers||Nickles, noses, budgets, tithers||Don’t care; whose life has been changed? Experiential|
2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.