By Vance Havner
Last of all he was seen of me also (1 Cor. 15:8).
In this marvelous and classic statement of the Gospel, Paul sets forth:
1. The Christ of history – “Christ died.”
2. The Christ of doctrine – “Christ died for our sins.”
3. The Christ of the Scriptures – “Christ died…was buried…and rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.”
4. The Christ of experience, the experience of others.
5. “He was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve, of above five hundred brethren at once, of James, of all the apostles.”
It is possible to know Christ as a fact of history, of doctrine, of the Scriptures, of the experience of others, but it avails nothing if we cannot add, “Last of all he was seen of me also.”
It was said of Thomas Chalmers that he had “an original experience of Jesus Christ.” Have you seen Him for yourself?
Day by Day with Vance Havner pp. 80-81.(Baker Book House, 1983; formerly printed by Fleming H. Revell Company, 1953)
2ProphetU is an online magazine/website, started by Warren Wiersbe and Michael Catt, to build up the church, seek revival, and encourage pastors.